Minecraft Beta 1.2_01 (less bugs, more framerates)
This update affects both the client and the server, but the server update isn’t mandatory. I highly suggest updating, though.
* Fixed various blocks acting really weird when placed (rails, torches, and more)
* Optimized performance
* Added a new painting that we forgot to include yesterday
* Reduced spawn rates a bit
* Fixed a whole pile of lighting bugs
* No more ghosts at night
* Added a temporary fix to get rid of chunk visibility errors
The last one is interesting.. The problem with chunk visibility errors was that for some reason the “dirty” flag on chunks and the list of “dirty chunks” got out of synch. There wasn’t time to try to do a proper fix today, so I just made the client check a couple of dirty chunks per frame to make sure they’re in the list.
So until we fix it proper, you might get invisible chunks, but they will fix themselves after a second or two, usually way before you even get close to them.